Model 242K
Coleman Model 242K Single Mantle Kerosene Lantern

Jones, an experienced camper, and Lam, Jones' nephew, went on a camping trip to hunt on property located in Canton, Missouri on October 9, 1999. After pitching a brand new tent, they went hunting. They returned to the campsite for dinner. Plaintiffs then went to sleep in the tent with both "windows" of the tent open. Around 11:00 p.m., they woke up cold. Plaintiffs lit a propane-fueled lantern ("Lantern") to warm the tent, but kept the "windows" to the tent open. The two men went back to sleep. The next morning, Jones woke up and tried to wake Lam. When Lam failed to respond, Jones discovered that Lam had died of what was later determined to be carbon monoxide poisoning. Jones suffered significant injuries. He was taken to the hospital where he received treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning. The source of the carbon monoxide was the propane-fueled lantern.

Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District, Division Three.
Richard JONES, et al., Appellant, v. COLEMAN COMPANY, Respondent.

Decided: December 20, 2005

Coleman Lantern SafetySafety Data Sheets

These documents are posted here for your safety.   Safety Data Sheets contain information on the potential hazards (health, fire, reactivity and environmental) and how to work safely with the chemical product.

Below are a number of useful safety notices for products normally associated with cleaning and using lamps, lanterns and stoves. Please take the time to review those you will come in contact with.

Generic SDS for gasolines
SDS for Camp Fuel
SDS for Kerosene
SDS for Denatured Alcohol
SDS for Propane Fuel


SDS for Coleman Premium Blend Fuel
SDS for Powermax
SDS for Butane
SDS for Simple Green
SDS for Rubbing Compound


SDS for Neetsfoot Oil
SDS for Lime-A-Way
SDS for Penetrating Oil
SDS for Vinegar
SDS for Carburetor Cleaner


SDS for Matches
SDS for Mantles
SDS for Thorium
Safe Guide for Shipping
Washing Soda

Old Town Coleman Home


Fire is not the only hazard you will face! Be safe.